Does this sound familiar?
You’re struggling to determine if your investments in people, processes, and technology are paying off in the form of something valuable to your business.
Through your research, you found there’s a disconnect between planning and execution due to improper reporting, and as a result, a lot of money and effort is wasted. So you decide to implement Tempo Time Tracker (great job!), but you’re struggling to simplify the complexity of time tracking across many departments.
We get it.
The struggle is real.
It’s time to bring alignment and time tracking together between the business and the delivery execution with Power Scripts™ for Jira and Tempo Time Tracking.
By implementing our scripting automation in conjunction with our Tempo Time Tracking system, we recovered over $500k & avoided hundreds of wasted manhours.
Here’s how we did it
As a large $100M consulting company that implements Agile and Technology transformations to the Fortune 1000, we were capitalizing on the market but were struggling to optimize our delivery engine across functional siloed groups.
Prior to Tempo, the standard time tracking process for Cprime was all done in Salesforce. We customized the time tracking module to be focused on the opportunity level of our sales funnel. People would enter their time on the specific opportunity on a day-to-day basis, and that would be the end of the training. The benefit of that was it was straightforward and simplistic.
The drawback was that while our employees and contractors could create tasks/ enter tasks against it, we didn’t have the first-hand context.
What we were up against
- The many cross-functional business units were all trying to coordinate resources and execute.
- Many business units all worked out of many different tools that spanned across multiple functional silos such as Sales, Marketing, Customer Support & Delivery.
- Keeping track of the work moving through all these stages and different software vendors was a challenge to manage at scale, and getting an aggregated perspective on the data became complex and time-consuming delaying revenue and affecting profitability.
- Allowing the business to track all the execution of this work in a way that finance could take action on was a barrier to getting the most value from our customers.
- Project invoicing and project financial reconciliation became an administrative burden with manual entry.
- Aggregating allocations of delivery resources working across different customers became a problem to track.
Bring alignment and time tracking together between the business and the delivery execution:
- Ensure you’re working on the right things as an organization – planned work items that are deemed important to the business are actually getting done.
- Help the business understand outcomes over output – tactical task-based activities spread across hundreds if not thousands of Jira tickets.
- Automation to help pre-populate values, attributes, personnel and account information all along the value chain – people transitioning the work items/Jira issues through a workflow and reporting their time spent to get to value.
- Reporting on the return on investment (ROI) from the value delivered to the business – helps the business track their return on investment in people working on strategic stuff commonly spread across hundreds if not thousands of Jira issues/tickets.
- Working with one time-tracking tool across all different departments.
Cprime uses both Tempo Timesheets and SIL® Tempo Connector to standardize our consultants’ time and budget processes that ensured capacity and resources are properly allocated.
We created a button to “Create Tempo Account” via Power Actions®
We set an error message to show if certain conditions are not met. (Error: Not linked to Salesforce opportunity.)
Fix the error, and update the SFDC Opportunity Code field on the Epic.
Now you can create a Tempo account.
Select the Account Type (Hourly, Fixed Bid, or any other custom defined selections), and now can define the rate.
After the hourly rate is set, the connector will use REST API to automatically create an account and a customer. Return to the Finance tab to see that the team has been added.
Navigate to the account and see that it has automatically created a category: Client Billable – Hourly.
Implementing our tools, Tempo Timesheets, Power Scripts™ for Jira, and SIL® Tempo Connector, together brought contextual insight, gave users time interface, and showed us comprehensively where our resources were being spent.
Some results we saw:
- Cut out manual reconciliation of work, and reduced 100s hours of project managers reconciling.
- Cut down the finance team close process from 3 months to a few weeks, and recovered $500k from displaced invoices.
- Automated the ability to invoice customers for service work completed 10x faster.
- Standardized the differences across projects with a custom Tempo UI with pre-selected project values.
- Automated 90% of the administrative process to auto-create Jira projects, resource assignments, pay rates and bill rates and generated the reconciliation report to finance.
What our tools together can bring to your company
- Faster time-to-market (first-mover advantage) – hypergrowth mode, owning your space establishing themselves as category leaders in the agile and technology space.
- Better operational agility and execution (cost savings and profit maximization) – scale growth in a more effective templatized and automated way that’s repeatable across thousands of projects each year. Return displaced money went back to your bottom line, and rid yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars of waste each year on inefficiency and manual duplication of work.
- Embraced automation to streamline the process at scale -automate the process that programmatically scale while cutting down on costly errors.
- Implemented governance, standardization, and templatization – implement best practices and project guidelines that could be repeated across the wider organizational business units regardless of project type, complexity, and personnel.
Want to see this in live-action? Tune in for our upcoming joint webinar on March 19, 2020 @ 11:00 am EST where we’ll show you the power of automation in Tempo through different use cases.
Tagged with: Atlassian, automation, custom fields, jira, jira admin, power scripts for jira, Reports, scripting, SIL, SIL Tempo Connector, Templates, Tempo, Time Tracking
Categorized in: Agile, Automation, Jira Admin, Power Scripts, SIL scripting, Workflows