As teams continue to become more agile and move at the speed of light, instant, and efficient communication is an ever-expanding need. Not to mention the fact that the team that memes together, wins together. And Slack is leading software for instant communication and team collaboration here. This partnership is the next best step to continue providing the best of breed collaboration and communication software for Atlassian’s customers.
First, we create a Slack channel where the Prometheus alert manager will post alerts. Those alerts are triggered by metrics taken from Atlassian Jira with Prometheus Exporter PRO for Jira.
Then, Prometheus Exporter PRO provides endpoints to expose Atlassian application metrics to Prometheus so that you can monitor application health, diagnose anomalies in real-time, respond quickly without affecting production, convert metrics into charts, and centralized monitoring location.
So, why wait? There’s no better time to integrate Jira, Prometheus (Alertmanager), and Slack than today. Just follow the instructions below.
Here’s how it works
It’s easy, straightforward, and only takes 15 minutes of your time.
We will run Jira and Prometheus in Docker using the Idalko Jira image.
- Run Jira
- Create and a run a docker-compose.yml file
- Install the Prometheus Exporter PRO for Jira app
- Run Prometheus
- Create a docker-compose.yml file
- Create prometheus.yml in data/Prometheus/config folder
- Create rules.yml in data/Prometheus/config folder
- Go to your Slack and configure Incoming Webhooks for the channel where you want to see alerts.
- Create alertmanager.yml in data/alertmanager/config folder
- Run with docker-compose.
…and voilà! You’re all set.
Time to see it in action
Let’s take several simple examples to test the alerts:
- Add one more user in your Jira and you will get a notification in the alerts channel in Slack. If you remove this user, you will get a message into the Slack channel that the issue has been resolved.
- Stop Jira containers and you will get a notification in the alerts channel in Slack that Jira is down. If you run Jira containers again, you will get a message in the Slack channel that the issue has been resolved.
Send an alert to Slack when there are too many users in your instance
- Add more users into your Jira.
- Check if the Prometheus metric was updated.
- Confirm the alert was detected.
- You will get a notification on the alerts channel in Slack.
If you remove this user, you will get a message in the Slack channel that the issue has been resolved.
Send an alert to Slack if your Jira is down
- Stop your Jira containers and check if the Prometheus metric was detected by the Alertmanager.
- You will get a notification in the alerts channel in Slack that your Jira is down.
If you run Jira containers again, you will get a message in the Slack channel that the issue has been resolved.
We have a lot in store for the app so stay tuned for new versions and releases. If you have an idea – let’s hear it! Share your idea with us at email@example.com, and we’ll be in touch.
Tagged with: Atlassian, collaboration, communication, for Jira, health metrics, jira, jira admin, jira service desk, Metrics, Monitor, Prometheus Exporter PRO, Slack
Categorized in: Agile, Charts, custom fields, Dashboard, Data, Data Integration, Jira, Jira Admin, Jira Service Desk, Plugins, Slack